Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Fever Dream

I'm getting this down while I remember it. I have no idea what time or even what day I had it - this has been a little disorienting and I'm amazed more time hasn't passed.

Most of my time since my last post has been spent in bed with the covers alternately on and off and a damp washcloth on my forehead while I occasionally sip ginger ale and water. The dream started with me lying down like that, with all that stuff around me, but I was lying on the ground at the edge of a sunny field watching a pickup softball game. The grass seemed dry where I was, but must have been damp where they were playing because they kept slipping and making mildly spectacular errors and saves. One heavy-set batter fell immediately upon making a hit.

As it happens in dreams sometimes, I rolled to my feet and found myself in my old room at my parents house. Nobody else was home and I somehow knew my parents and wife were out shopping. I shuffled over to the bathroom and opened the cabinet to get a fresh washcloth. (I'm not sure why. Maybe the first one had grass & dirt on it.) As soon as I opened it a hurricane lamp chimney fell out and broke on the floor. I went off to get a broom and dust pan to clean it up. While I was grabbing them it occured to me I should get a vacuum too to be sure to get up all the slivers, since folks are often barefoot in bathrooms. I went outside to get it, since it was naturally in a case in the trunk of the car.

As I pulled out the case from the trunk, a woman walked up to me and started talking. It was Zsa Zsa Gabor, except she looked to be only about in her mid-40s at the oldest and her hair was in a more modern style. I'm not sure exactly, but as I took out the vacuum and tested it I think she talked about a vacuum cleaner she used to have. I recall thinking she didn't look too bad and that if I weren't married I might have made a play for her.

We said our goodbyes and I headed back toward the house. When I got to the door I found that instead of being on the bathroom floor the broken glass was embedded in some tar on the driveway. The tar was a navy blue instead of the usual black, but though I noted that as unusual it didn't surprise me at all. I sat down with a putty knife and began prying up the pieces and feeding them into the nozzle of the vacuum. At that point my father showed up and began helping me pry up the pieces. We had to break up a few of the larger ones to make them fit in the vacuum nozzle.

I don't remember any more of the dream beyond that, if there was any more. I guess I woke up then.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel a little weak, so I'm going to grab a pill and get back to bed.

0 comments: