Thursday, January 11, 2007

It's Time To Roll Out The Barrel... And Find Out What's Inside Today!

A little semi-random homage to ZOOM there.

I've added a few more links, some of which are my own.

Sysinternals This site is an old favorite of mine that has since been taken over by Microsoft, so it's a bit more cluttered and less informative than it used to be. The utilities there, though, are invaluable. My favorites...

PageDefrag - I have it set up to defragment my registry, virtual memory, & hibernation files on every boot.

Filemon - A great hacking tool. Lets you monitor & log file accesses on your system, and filter it by program. Great for figuring out where the heck a program is grabbing a file from, or trying to if it's not finding it.
Regmon - Similar to Filemon, but monitors registry access instead. Find those hidden settings.

Quackwatch A great resource for researching dubious medical claims. I know I've referenced it a couple times in Yahoo Answers.

John's Secret Stores

Shameless plug here! I've been going through my digital photos and picking out a few that might look good on mousepads, mugs, t-shirts, etc., and setting them up on cafepress.com. Free money, if anyone buys them. So far I've got four "stores" set up...

John's Secret Store - Gettysburg I: Path & Fence - Based on a couple pics I took of a split-rail fence and trees along a leaf-strewn walking path in the Gettysburg battlefield.

John's Secret Store - Gettysburg II: Lee - Based on the Robert E. Lee statue on the Virginia soldiers monument. This was at the same location as the path & fence.
John's Secret Store - New York - Based on a couple pictures I took of New York and the Brooklyn Bridge lit up on a cloudy night, from across the river in Brooklyn.
John's Secret Store - Roses - While visiting my brother and his family I spotted this rose in the back yard and snapped a couple close-ups. I cropped them down to just the blooms and tossed them up on a variety of items just to see what sells.
There will be more. I've got a shot or two of a duck figurine in the same flower bed as the rose that might make a good journal cover or mousepad. And I plan to dig through my older photos as well. It seems fairly easy once you get the hang of it. If you've got a high enough resolution digital camera or scanner, or a good paint program (The GIMP is free) and some artistic talent, you could make a few dollars yourself. They also let you self-publish CDs, DVDs, and books, but I haven't looked into those options.

0 comments: