Thursday, June 7, 2007

So Far So Good

We're back from the fertility clinic, by way of Outback.

My wife seems to be on track, with everything as it should be. She still has a couple cysts on one ovary, but her estrogen is low so they are apparently hormonally inactive. The doctor says we could wait them out, but that could take months, or aspirate them, which could impact growth of the good follicles later (presumably from the ovary being poked with a needle, though he didn't actually say). Overall, he and my wife are both comfortable with ignoring them and moving forward with the cycle, so that's what we're doing. He didn't count, but said there seemed to be the beginnings of a decent number of eggs showing. I hope it's on the upper end of "not too many" in case we have to do another cycle. That way we can freeze what we don't use this time and maybe skip doing the retrieval the second time.

I really hope we get pregnant the first try so we won't have to deal with any more cycles at all. Of course then we'll have to decide what to do with the leftover embryos: dispose of them, donate for research, donate for other couples, or keep them for ourselves. We've talked a bit and I think the way we'll likely go is keep them frozen for us, at least for a couple years. We're realistic about it - my wife won't likely be up to carrying another child after this first. We're just a bit too old for that. But within a couple years if we think we're up for a second (privided we don't get twins this time) we may see if my younger sister in law will carry one for us. She herself mentioned the possibility a few years ago, so maybe she'll still be game.

If we don't feel up for going for another kid, my selfish genes are telling me to donate for other couples, but I worry a little bit about who might be raising a child who is, though not legally, genetically ours. At least we know whoever they might be they're not likely to be complete technological Luddites.

My sperm is doing better. The motile count was 0.8M. If you're just joining this blog that's an improvement over my previous count of 0.3M. That's a 166% increase. Still in the range of random fluctuation, but at least I know I'm not likely to have some deteriorating condition. I think I'll stick with the boxers now. I'm getting used to them anyway. Now I have to work on getting more sleep.

0 comments: